District Medication Policy
***Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to limit clinic exposure, ALL medications will require a physician’s order (including over the counter medications).
Students are not allowed to transport medication to and from school. This includes prescription and over the counter medications, including but not limited to: cough drops, cough strips, Tylenol, etc. Parents/Guardians need to bring those medications to the Clinic in the original, unopened container. Once the required forms are signed, arrangements can be made to dispense the medication during school hours. Prescription medication must have the pharmacy label on the medication with the child’s name and dosing information. Over the counter medication must have your child’s age group/weight in the dosing information.
Some medications follow the schedule below:
Once a day medications are given at home before or after school
Twice a day medications are given at home before and after school.
Three times a day medications are given at home before school, after school, and at bedtime.
Four times a day medications are given at home before school, one time at school after lunch, at home after school and at bedtime. (Please have pharmacist give 2 bottles; one for school and one for home.)
- Any medication (prescription or non- prescription) that is to be given must be accompanied by a written order from the physician or dentist prescribing the medication. (document is attached below)
- The Physicians request for Administration of Medication will expire at the end of the current school year.
- When medications are to be given for prolonged periods of time, it is the parent’s responsibility to maintain an adequate supply of medication and to inform the school of changes in dosage or frequency in administration or if medication is discontinued.
- Any unused medications must be picked up by the parent, guardian or an adult. No medication will be sent home with the student.
- Medications left in the clinic at the end of the school year will be destroyed on the last day of school. (Unless special arrangements have been made by the parent).